[open-bibliography] Place of Publication data from the BL dataset

Ben O'Steen bosteen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 07:41:59 UTC 2010

I guess my email was a bit tl;dr - at the bottom of it I tried to point out
that these spreadsheets are meant as a guide to the sorts of data within the
dataset.

Corine, if you could take a look at the aforementioned data, specifically
the first sheet (sortedlocations0) which may indicate errors in either the
data or the conversion.

What I do want to discuss is the data itself. There are a great many direct
addresses with postcodes. So what might we do to make this more usable?
(Without spending too long on this)

- insert 'publishedNear' data, encapsulating the cities information?
- try to reduce the addresses to a lat-lon?
- something else?
- nothing at all?

Again, the spreadsheet was aimed at helping the exploration of the data. The
idea was you would spot something odd, click the link to get to
bnb.bibliographica and then start to characterise it on that service.

Ben

Ben