[open-bibliography] 'Art Meets Astrophysics': Galaxy Zoo and Citizen Science - does this extend to Bibliography?

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 1 15:54:07 UTC 2010

Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Some of us in #jiscopenbib have floated the idea with JISC and others of
> citizien bibliographer and bibliography camps. If art can be catalogued in
> this way then so can books, journals etc.

I would be glad to contribute to such efforts.

Open Library is a significant start for books.
Connotea, CiteUlike, BibSonomy, Mendeley, Zotero, Sciplore, ....  are starts in the journal article space. But sofar these are
competing rather then cooperating with each other, and unlike OL the article collections are not available in bulk with suitable
licenses for aggregations to form.

Finding and gaining widespread adoption of a license suitable for bulk exchange and republishing of article metadata seems
like a precondition for the next big step in the article space. With the right license, smaller publishers should
be glad to release their metadata directly to an open aggregation. As this collection grew, some benefits of crowdsourced
cataloging might emerge.

Another way to start would be to demonstrate the crowdsourced cataloging on currently open data,
e.g. what can be gained via OAI-PMH. Possibly BASE  http://base.ub.uni-bielefeld.de/en/index.php could play a role in this.
Which makes me wonder, is the BASE metadata collection available in bulk? If so with what license? I could not see quickly from
the site.

--Jim
Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/

Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860