[open-bibliography] OAIPMH and the right to copy (from "Library support and REST")

Ben O'Steen bosteen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 12:17:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 07:29 -0400, Ross Singer wrote:
> Sidestepping all of the sanctimonious patronizing towards libraries
> (chemistry is not much of a high horse to look down from), to answer
> Peter's original question about getting the data: DSpace has ways to
> get data out.  Every DSpace instance has an OAI-PMH provider:
>
> https://spectradspace.lib.imperial.ac.uk:8443/dspace-oai/request?verb=Identify
>
> it's just that Imperial's seems to be broken.
>
> DSpace also has an SRU plugin:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/oclcsrwdspacelucene/
>
> But that doesn't mean Imperial has installed it.

However, a service like this doesn't mean that you can reuse it for
anything other than personal use. I am part of a ongoing conversation
with UKPMC where they stated that they could not openly allow large
scale reuse of their OAIPMH provided metadata. They said they could for
their 'OA subset', but not for any of the others as they have
contractual obligations to their metadata suppliers.

Ben