[open-bibliography] Antw: Re: BL data available under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Thu Sep 2 08:36:20 UTC 2010

As a company I obviously dislike NC. But more generally I would think
it raises all sorts of problems for libraries to get NC MARC records.
Most libraries don't do all their own work, but take part in all sorts
of data improvement, data transfer and data processing relationships,
with vendors in all sorts of relationships. At the most basic level,
libraries exchange records, and there's no reliable way of coding the
legal status of diffs into MARC records. All told, it's unclear to me
what NC would bind, and what it wouldn't, what it would prevent for
real, and what it would prevent because the situation is just too
foggy.

Another question is simple: Is OCLC "non-commercial" or not? I say
"not on your life, they're a monstrous and extortionary data
monopoly." But I'm sure they'd say they were. What is the CC answer?

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding