[open-bibliography] Bulk Download of Names Available

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Aug 12 16:23:46 UTC 2011

Hi Kevin,

This is really great to see - and I've added a data package on
<http://theDataHub.org> for this:

<http://thedatahub.org/package/library-of-congress-name-authority-file>

One question. What is the exact license under which this data is
released? I was presuming 'Public Domain' given this statement on the
about page:

<quote>
The Library of Congress has prepared this vocabulary terminology
system and is making it available as a public domain data set. While
it has attempted to minimize inaccuracies and defects in the data and
services furnished, THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS IS PROVIDING THIS DATA AND
THESE SERVICES "AS IS" AND DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
</quote>

Regards,

Rufus

On 11 August 2011 21:13, Ford, Kevin <kefo at loc.gov> wrote:
> Bulk downloads of the Library of Congress *Name* Authority File (NAF) are now available.  The current bulk download is only MADS/RDF.  We'll make a SKOS/RDF download available in the near future.  We are offering two serializations:  n-triples and RDF/XML.
>
> The LC *Subject* Heading (LCSH) file continues to be available for download as SKOS/RDF, but now LCSH is also available in MADS/RDF (in the same serializations).  The MADS/RDF enables the identification of types for subject headings and subheadings.
>
> They may be downloaded here:  http://id.loc.gov/download/
>
> The data dumps are very much a work in progress. Please report problems, issues, and wishes on the ID.LOC.GOV listserv:
>
> http://listserv.loc.gov/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=ID&A=1
>

> --
> Kevin Ford
> Digital Project Coordinator
> Network Development & MARC Standards Office Library of Congress
> 101 Independence Avenue, SE
> Washington, DC 20540-4402
>
> Email: kefo at loc.gov
> Tel: 202 707 3526