[open-bibliography] [open-science] Compiling licence details for all open access journals in UK PubMedCentral (or PMC)

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Dec 14 20:37:46 UTC 2011

Heather Morrison <heatherm at eln.bc.ca>
> Perhaps this is something that the EU could address for its
> agencies. Or maybe it takes the same line as the US.

It's not at all like the US.  I think there's often a laissez-faire
approach based on some concept of encouraging private enterprise.

Also, the EU has a bad habit of inventing its own licences when asked
to address this in other fields.  At least, I think that's why we were
cursed with things like the degrades-to-GPL CeCILL-B licence and the
not-so-simple EU Datagrid Licence.

If anyone asks the EU to address this for its agencies, please be
careful how the request is worded!

(cc'd because it was crossposted to a list I don't belong to.)

Hope that informs,