[open-bibliography] DOIs and openbiblio

Paul Walk p.walk at ukoln.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 11:51:48 UTC 2011

Hi Ian,

The very brief answer to this is that DOI is (mostly) Handle + governance/business framework (although this is over-simplifying a little). Handle gives the technical mechanism, the framework (involving the International DOI Foundation with its arrangements of Registration Agencies etc.) gives the sustainability. With continued growth and the introduction of new domains and Registration Agencies in the last year or two (research data through DataCite, movie/TV metadata through EIDR), the sustainability path seems to be working so far....

Organisations such as DataCite and EIDR have invested in DOI, because they accept the value proposition of the 'middleman'. Of course, in doing so, they also become part of the middleman, strengthening the value proposition.

I realise I have somewhat answered a question you didn't quite ask - but I think this aspect can't be ignored!

Cheers,

Paul