[open-bibliography] DOIs and openbiblio

ianibbo at gmail.com ianibbo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 10:22:11 UTC 2011

Must admit I've always been everso slightly confused by the
relationship between DOI's and the Global Handle Registry. The IDF
seems very keen to say that DOI's are more than just Handles, but
every time I read http://www.doi.org/factsheets/DOIHandle.html I'm
left with the feeling that the "much more" could be easily
(transparently?) replaced with something open and equally usable.

I'd be interested in knowing what could be provided using just Handles
and skipping the DOI middle-man. I'd certainly be careful not to throw
the handle baby out with the DOI bathwater.

all very vague on this tho, and would really love someone to fill in
my gaps with it.

Ian.