[open-bibliography] Minutes for the 8th meeting

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Wed Feb 2 16:05:07 UTC 2011

  Adrian Pohl writes

> - There is an OKFN service "Is it open data?"
> (http://isitopendata.org/) which can be used to ask providers of
> (bibliographic) data sets whether their data is open. Members of the
> working group and of this list are encouraged to make use of this tool
> to get more information about the copyright status of bibliographic
> data.

  Especially those that are already on http://3lib.org. I have given
  it a start by writing to the DBLP head honcho Michael Ley. Here
  is what I wrote,

| Dear Micheal,
|
| I am using DBLP to as part of an interdisciplinary open-access author
| registration service at http://authorclaim.org. I provide a link back
| to DBLP for every record used. See ftp://ftp.authorclaim.org.
|
| As a side concern, am also working on the open knowledge foundations
| bibliographic working group. As part of this, I am writing to seek
| clarification of the 'openness' [1] of the DBLP data.
|
| I wasn't able to find an explicit statement that the data was open
| such as a reference to an open knowledge or data license [2] so I'm
| writing to find out what the exact situation is. In particular we
| would like to know whether the material can be made available under an
| open license of some kind.
|
| Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to receiving your
| response.
|
| Regards,
|

| Thomas Krichel
|
| [1] <http://www.opendefinition.org/1.0/>
| [2] <http://www.opendefinition.org/licenses/>

  In other news, I have now integrated the IUCR in AuthorClaim,
  http://authorclaim.org. Kindly check the description I made
  of the set at http://authorclaim.org/collections/iucr.

  At http://authorclaim.org/about#reuse I have clarified reuse
  of AuthorClaim data.