[open-bibliography] New BNB sample data available

Young,Jeff (OR) jyoung at oclc.org
Tue Feb 8 16:39:58 UTC 2011

Simon,

I'm confused by your statement "the Concepts have the same extension".

I think we agree that the MESH and LCSH Concepts are owl:differentFrom
despite their skos:exactMatch relationship. I assume this is the source
of Karen's confusion on the identity of "the thing" (concept) they
presumably have in common.

I admit this proposal is disconcerting because it uses both skos:Concept
and frbr:Concept, but it would resolve the problem of different
prefLabels in different schemes for the same thing. For example:

mesh:concept1 a skos:Concept ;

                skos:inScheme mesh:scheme ;

                skos:exatcMatch lcsh:concept1 ;

                skos:prefLabel "The MESH term" ;

                foaf:focus frbr:concept1 .

lcsh:concept1 a skos:Concept ;

                skos:inScheme lcsh:scheme ;

                skos:exactMatch mesh:concept1 ;

                skos:prefLabel "The LCSH term" ;

                foaf:focus frbr:concept1 .

# The primary entity

frbr:concept1 a frbr:Concept ;

                frbr:hasTerm "The LCSH term" ;

                frbr:hasTerm "The MESH term" ;

                frbr:hasTerm "other term" .

Note that FRBR:Concept doesn't have a property to express prefLabel (and
IMO shouldn't). This same pattern would work for other types of primary
entities like frbr:Person, frbr:CorporateBody, etc.

Jeff