[open-bibliography] New BNB sample data available

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Feb 8 16:59:20 UTC 2011

Quoting "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung at oclc.org>:

> I think we agree that the MESH and LCSH Concepts are owl:differentFrom
> despite their skos:exactMatch relationship. I assume this is the source
> of Karen's confusion on the identity of "the thing" (concept) they
> presumably have in common.

Jeff, I have no problem with MeSH and LCSH -- those are different
vocabularies, and often the terms are not equivalents. I'm concerned
about future vocabularies when we've gotten vocabularies out beyond
institutional silos and different folks want to be compatible but do
not want to use the same display for their users. This would mean
using the same URI but a different human display. It seems to me that
RDF would potentially allow that, but SKOS seems to close down that
possibility.

kc

--
Karen Coyle