[open-bibliography] New BNB sample data available

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Feb 8 19:19:53 UTC 2011

Jeff, I'm not having trouble understanding this. I think I'm not
getting across to you, though. I do not want for there to be a karen
scheme and a jeff scheme. What I am advocating is that there could be
a somebody scheme, and there could be different choices for
prefLabels. In fact, one person's altLabel may be another person's
prefLabel. SKOS cannot do this, but I think it could be needed. What
it comes down to is that there could be an identified *something*

   http://something.st/aThing

and I may wish to label that as:
    aabbcc

and someone else may wish to label it as
    zzyynn

But we may want to use the same identifier for the purposes of
interoperability and for efficiency.

To my mind, SKOS models the traditional thesaurus structure and its
use of a human-readable *identifier* too closely. Like many of the
other aspects that keep the "S" in "SKOS" this one I think will limit
its usability in the end.

kc