[open-bibliography] Library of Congress subject headings & RDF

Owen Stephens owen at ostephens.com
Fri Jan 7 12:18:01 UTC 2011

Can anyone point me at (or advise me on) examples of representing subject
heading fields from a library catalogue record as RDF. Specifically I'm
interested in how chained sets of subject headings are represented.

E.g. a library catalogue record might have a heading:

650$$aPopular Music$$xHistory$$y20th Century

Each one of these headings:

Popular Music
History
20th Century

will have a SKOS representation on id.loc.gov, but to represent each heading
separately as a dc:subject (or similar) would lose the context of chaining
them together.

There are some entries on id.loc.gov that represent some 'chains' (those
that have been 'authorised') - e.g.
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh2008109787#concept is 'Popular
Music--History and Criticism' - but for me this doesn't feel quite right -
doesn't this lose some of the flexibility of the faceted scheme?

I'm wondering about something similar to the way BIBO handles author lists
(you can both represent each author, and the list of authors, including
order)

Thanks,

Owen

--