[open-bibliography] (Final?) discussion of the openbiblio principles

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 10:58:07 UTC 2011

I have read Adrian's latest version, with Karen's additions and I think it's
excellent. I agree with Karen that we should have a simple para rather than
bullet list. I also agree with the idea of Core data and the addendum.

I would like to launch this formally at our Symposium on January 17th.
http://www-pmr.ch.cam.ac.uk/wiki/Main_Page I am speaking at 1700 UTC and
have 30 minutes but I would like to take a few minutes to launch Open
Bibliography as a part of Open Scholarship.

I think that we can get modest coverage of this - Nature and BMC will be
there and if I announce this today we might even get other parties
interested.

**Adrian is the senior author of this** and I am suggesting that he spend 1
minute greeting us (time is very tight and we didn't plan this when we
started!) It would be great if we have all our authors represented on Skype
even if they only get to say "hi".

The conference booklet will highlight Open Bibliography, the British
National Bibliography and #jiscopenbib

The presentation will be streamed and recorded. There will also be a
twitterfall.

If you agree I will announce this as "Launch of Open Bibliography
Principles"

I am impressed with the compactnerss and precision that the group has
achieved. I think it will be possible to get a lot of organizations signing
up to this.

P.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Adrian Pohl <adrian.pohl at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hello MJ,
>
> > Can we read (and ideally edit) the doc without registering with
> > Google, please?
>
> In fact, all this should already work. I just tested it. Please try
> again: http://bit.ly/gIfB11
>
> Adrian
>
> 2011/1/6 MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop>:
> > Adrian Pohl wrote:
> >> [...] I've already made some more changes on the google doc
> >> and added comments to the document to initiate further discussion, see
> >> http://bit.ly/gIfB11
> >>
> >> I'm looking forward to your thoughts and comments.
> >
> > Can we read (and ideally edit) the doc without registering with
> > Google, please?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit
> co-op.
> > Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
> > In My Opinion Only: see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
> > Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics