[open-bibliography] The Non Golden Rules of Geo

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 10 13:50:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Christopher Gutteridge <cjg at ecs.soton.ac.uk
> wrote:

> While these rules are for Geo data, they might be easily adapted for Bib!
> http://johngoodwin225.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/the-non-golden-rules-of-geo/

While we all agree with the difficulty of precise taxonomy (for me classical
physics and chemistry is one of the places where it actually works) it's
also important to realise that rough agreement is often all that is needed
at the start. So I'd start by something like:

   - bibliography is a fundamental of scholarship, which has boundaries
   (e.g. it is distinct from geo, maths, chemistry, ...)
   - there is only one need for defining core "bibliographic data" - we do
   not need two of more systems from the outset
   - bibliographic data is (and should be) Open for the benefit of scholars
   and humankind
   - it is possible to create toolkits that manage bibliographic data and we
   have created some
   - there is general agreement that useful rapid progress can be made.

I go with the IETF mantra "rough consensus and running code". We will never
get 100% agreement on the meaning of abstract nouns. It doesn't matter at
the moment.

> I'm disappointed I've not got any feedback from this list on how to make
> bib RDF data output by EPrints any more useful. My window before we release
> the next version is VERY small so any minor tweaks go in now or never.
>
> Please don't feel disappointed - there is always more to be done than
people to do it. There are lots of systems that output bibliographic
information that will need converting to RDF. I don't know how to do it for
ePrints - Ben is here tomorrow so I can ask him. But if you have already
created RDF then it should be simple to repurpose it if there is a mapping.

> Many repositories will end up running this software so it's a chance to set
> a good (or bad) example.
>
> --

> Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248
>
> / Lead Developer, EPrints Project, http://eprints.org/
> / Web Projects Manager, ECS, University of Southampton,
> http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/
> / Webmaster, Web Science Trust, http://www.webscience.org/

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics