[open-bibliography] Linked Open BNB preview now available

William Waites ww at styx.org
Thu Jul 14 15:29:27 UTC 2011

Hello Corine, hope you are enjoying your well deserved vacation!  This
is brilliant work, very much better than the previous RDF version,
URIs everywhere, beautiful!

A couple of tiny suggestions, first would be on the documents for the
authors, to have pointers back to their books, this will help with
follow-your-nose navigation. The second, very minor, would be to stuff
the timestamp from the MARC 005 somewhere so the age of the record can
be judged, and similarly for the creation of the RDF.

I would tend to model this last as something like,

<http://bnb.data.bl.uk/doc/resource/014938424> opmv:wasGeneratedBy [
    a opmv:Process;
    opmv:used [ ## maybe give this its own URI, but don't block on that
        a bibliographic:MarcRecord;
        dct:modified "YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SSZ" ## from 005
    ];
    opmv:wasPerformedAt [
        a time:Instant;
        time:inXSDDateTime "YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SSZ"
    ].

This also gives you a place to put any other information that may be
useful or interesting about the process for generating the RDF, such
as software used, person responsible for doing it, etc.. (notice it
is on the /doc/ not the /id/). There are other ways to represent this
kind of information, the above is just my preference.

Icing on the cake would be to make a void:Dataset description for the
whole thing, containing information such as is on the information page
and then (possibly) link to that from the records and people tying it
all together into a neat package.

But on the whole very well done!

Cheers,
-w