[open-bibliography] A 4 star classification-scheme for open cultural meta-data

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Jun 6 15:32:03 UTC 2011

In law, licenses formalize an agreement. Since we can't get formal
agreements (generally) in our massive online communication, I see CC
and other online licenses mainly as a way to INFORM users of our
desires. When I see a CC license I immediately know that this is
someone who wants their stuff used; someone who isn't going to sue me
if I quote them heavily or use their materials in a classroom; that
they aren't going to pull a "disney". It is easier for me as a user of
materials to have this information than to NOT have it. If there is no
license, then I have to assume that all of the restrictions of the
copyright law apply, and that there is very little that I can safely
do with the material.

I see licenses as a great improvement over no licenses, since the
latter automatically puts the materials into the copyright law
context, whether the creators intend that or not.

Note that the "CC people" do indeed see copyright law as flawed, and
in fact Lessig has tried (and I think now given up) to reform
copyright law. CC was developed as a way to keep copyright law from
restricting use of the net.

kc