[open-bibliography] Fwd: JISC Guide - Open Bibliographic Data - launch as part of 18 April Resource Discovery Task Force event

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 4 13:48:20 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Kay <david.kay at sero.co.uk>

Apologies for cross-posting - A number of you will be aware of this through
other lists
As members of the group who made contributions to the development of the
Open Bib Data Guide in 2010, we're hoping you'll be interested in attending
the event described below

Best
David
On behalf of OBD Guide co-authors Paul Miller & Owen Stephens
*
*
*Opening Data – Opening Doors Workshop, Manchester, 18th April*
* *
*How can we gain bigger audiences for our scholarly and cultural resources
and enhance services for researchers, teachers and learners?*

In 2010, the JISC and RLUK Resource Discovery Taskforce (RDTF), involving
national stakeholders from libraries, archives and museums, set out a vision
for making the most of UK scholarly and cultural resources.  JISC and their
RDTF partners have now committed to a programme of activity to help fulfil
the vision – building critical mass through opening up data, exploring and
demonstrating what open data makes possible, and actively sharing learning
points with the wider community.
*The ‘Opening Data – Opening Doors’ event marks the starting point of this
journey. *
Chaired by Professor David Baker, Deputy Chair of the JISC Board, on behalf
of the JISC and RLUK Resource Discovery Task Force

·         Hear from services that are opening up their data including what’s
happening in the new RDTF projects that have just been commissioned

·         Help to shape the messages, advice and support offered during the
2011 programme and beyond

·         Help to develop practical and engaging approaches to exploiting
our data

Venue: Malmaison Manchester, Piccadilly, Manchester, M1 1LZ
Date: Monday 18th April 2011, 10.00am to 4.00pm

*Who should attend?* Managers, practitioners, developers and advocates from
libraries, archives, museums, associated publishers and interested
organisations who want early involvement in clarifying, expanding and
challenging the realities of exposing, sharing and exploiting the resource
description data held by our institutions.

*Register at:* http://rdtf-opening-doors.eventbrite.com/

There is already a lot happening.  To find out more download a copy of the
first RDTF newsletter at:
http://rdtf.mimas.ac.uk/newsletter/rdtfnewsletter01-march2011.pdf

For more information on the JISC and RLUK Resource Discovery Taskforce,
visit: http://rdtf.mimas.ac.uk

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics