[open-bibliography] University library Darmstadt releases bibliographic data under CC0

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Mar 4 18:01:22 UTC 2011

Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.ub.uni-dortmund.de/ubblog/offene-bibliographische-daten

Great to see!  Mathias or Adrian (or other volunteer), please could you could make a brief English translation of the
appened BLOG post and send to Adrian to post as a news item in the open biblio site?

Do we have a structured list of announcements like this, with dates, organizations, number of records, some description of content?
We should have a systematic way of maintaining and displaying such a list. I'll be glad to assist with this. It is very desirable
for each such data release for OKFN to have a  technical contact with the organization, who may be responsive to details of licensing,
updates and the like. I think this working group should aim to have someone who is responsible for keeping up each such  contact, and also
someone responsible for monitoring the list of all pairs of contacts. The email list of all these pairs would be a simple and
powerful means of maintaining a sense of community among providers of open biblio data. Such a network, if only initially a star shaped one with
an OKFN admin volunteer at the center, would be a significant start towards the "Bibliographic Knowledge Network" imagined  as the product of
the NSF sponsored BKN grant effort (url below). Funding for that grant is winding down, and I would like to see the code and data assets it generated
finding good homes. So I am proposing that the BKN name be coopted by OKFN and administered by some subset of this working group as
a name for a network of OKFN compliant openbiblio data providers, overseen by OKFN.

I will be discussing this plan further with Rufus and Jonathan next week. If you have any reactions/suggestions, please
post to the list or to one of us privately.

many thanks

--Jim

Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/

Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860