[open-bibliography] Using IsItOpenData to get information about licensing policies

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 16:32:26 UTC 2011

WE ARE AHEAD OF YOU   so we need to avoid confusing them.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> In the same vein, I have started a correspondence with Mendeley, which has
> not got far yet,
> about access to their data through their API http://dev.mendeley.com/
> According to  http://dev.mendeley.com/docs/license
> "All data from the Mendeley API is made available under a Creative Commons
> Attribution 3.0 Unported License for commercial and non-commercial
> derivations."
> Worth listing on CKAN  I think. But we dont yet have bulk access.
> Anyone else been in touch with Mendeley on this issue?
>
> See my blog and also see IsItOpenData request. They are preparing a formal
answer.

> One possibility would be for a number of agents to extract subsets of
> Mendeley data they cared about and to pool these
> subsets in an OKFN supported data store.
> This is a general possibility, whenever a data provider provides an open
> API but is unwilling to support their own bulk store.
> We can consider one store for multiple data sources,  much as Thomas
> Krichel provides at http://3lib.org/
> Can we estimate the cost of OKFN maintaining such a store on various scales
> with various levels of service?

I think we can regard the Mendeley core data as completely OKD-compliant.
However they distribute abstracts and they CANNOT be assumed to be open. So
strip out the abstracts and all Mendely is OKD-Open. It's great news.

We need to have a crawler for their API. We have been crawling the
commercial publishers and should have potentially 10 million records.

P.

> --Jim
> ------------------------------------
>
> Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> qualify
> >
> > This is incorrect. The http://opendefinition.org/okd/ states:
> >
> > <quote>
> > The work shall be available as a whole and at no more than a
> > reasonable reproduction cost, preferably downloading via the Internet
> > without charge. The work must also be available in a convenient and
> > modifiable form.
> > </quote>
> >
> > Hence the 'bulk' ("as a whole") requirement is in the Open Definition.
> >
> > > I've certainly added OAI (And other streaming protocol) based datasets
> > > to CKAN, wasn't aware of any restriction. I just used the base URL of
> > > the OAI server. Is this an official line? If so it needs to be
> > > challenged and changed (IMNSHO).
> >
> > There's no restriction regarding what you register on CKAN - in
> > particular there is no requirement to only register Open Definition
> > compliant datasets. That said, obviously we do highlight (in a variety
> > of ways) those datasets that are open and I don't think we want
> > datasets that will always remain closed, and especially those datasets
> > that are clearly 'paid-access-only'.
> >
> > Rufus
> >
> > > cheers,
> > > Ian.

> > --
> > Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation
> > Promoting Open Knowledge in a Digital Age
> > http://www.okfn.org/ - http://blog.okfn.org/

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry