[open-bibliography] Fwd: LibraryCloud university of florida

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Mar 21 14:12:19 UTC 2011

This comes out of the OCLC record re-use policy, and Florida is
essentially exercising the same initiative as U Michigan did. The OCLC
policy says that OCLC makes no claim over records that the library
itself created, and therefore the library, if it can identify those
records, can do whatever it wants with them without any of the
limitations in the policy. So this action has to do with the OCLC
policy, which does not allow re-use of other records from their
database.

The fact that they have added a license to each record should probably
not be read as any assumption about copyright and bibliographic data.
They are trying to make their records that are not limited by the OCLC
policy available. This is a Good Thing. To do so, they needed to 1)
identify those records and 2) let others downstream identify those
records. They've done so with a note field carrying the CC license.

They didn't provide an export because they didn't think it would be
useful. Some of us have suggested it to them. The export would most
likely be in MARC format. Should we continue to press them on this?

kc