[open-bibliography] Fwd: LibraryCloud university of florida

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Mar 21 16:50:33 UTC 2011

When you suggest a dump to libraries their first thought is: how will
we keep it up to date? I think this is a legitimate concern. Any data
set produced more than one month ago is probably quite out of date
already. In most library systems, creating a large dump is quite
awkward since the systems are in constant use and a dump consumes
considerable resources.

I think we should ask for dumps, but we either have to be concerned
about keeping them up to date or we should expressly treat these as
"experimental" and thus relieve the providing agency of the burden of
reproducing dumps on a regular basis. (And I'm not convinced that a
succession of full dumps truly serves the needs of folks building
databases.)

kc