[open-bibliography] Openbiblio at OCLC

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Wed May 25 15:17:21 UTC 2011

On 5/25/11 5/25/11 € 7:24 AM, "Karen Coyle" <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> Not to mention the fact that Karen Calhoun has quite suddenly
> announced her retirement at the end of this month.
>
> It's all mysterious.

I can't let this personal jab go by without comment. I consider Karen
Calhoun a friend as well as a respected colleague. The comment above seems
aimed to cast aspersions where none should be cast. Any announcement of
someone leaving their current employer is "quite sudden" by its very nature.

In reality, Karen has been sliding toward this for quite some time. Her
family (she has grandkids) live in the Pittsburgh area and she has been
increasingly spending time there. A natural progression toward full
retirement offered itself, where she could work part-time at the University
of Pittsburgh, consult with OCLC as we work to fill the rather large void
she will leave here, and spend more time with her family. I will not stand
idly by while insinuations are made that are completely without merit.
Roy