[open-bibliography] Openbiblio at OCLC

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed May 25 14:24:00 UTC 2011

There is some "yeah, but..." to this story. When Karen Calhoun said at
the recent members council meeting that OCLC is considering the ODC-BY
license, she also said that they still consider the OCLC record use
policy to be in force. It appears that they consider these two -- the
license and the policy -- to be able to co-exist. The policy states
that any "down stream" users must abide by the policy, which has
stricter requirements than ODC-BY. I found the announcement by Calhoun
to be puzzling. In addition, she said this on a panel about linked
data. Since linked data refers to metadata statements, not records or
files, again it isn't clear how any license based on records and files
can be pertinent.

Not to mention the fact that Karen Calhoun has quite suddenly
announced her retirement at the end of this month.

It's all mysterious.

kc