[open-bibliography] Introducing Knowledge for All

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Oct 24 22:08:53 UTC 2011

Thomas Krichel <krichel at openlib.org> wrote:

>   You may look at the okfn sponsored 3lib project.
> http://3lib.org

Right. It is an ongoing challenge to find traditional library agents
willing to host and maintain with some reasonable version control
bibliographic datasets prepared by others who may not have the server capabilities to do it themselves.  It would be great if KforAll or Talis or other players could step up to this task. If we can get these datasets into standard formats we agree are useful, e.g. BibJSON or some modernized form of AMF XML logically
eqivalent to both some light form of RDF and some form of BibJSON, and exhibit
services which provide value added to these datasets, then we will be making significant progress.
I think we are well on the way towards the value added services with the
BibServer/BibSoup effort at http://bibsoup.net/
But we still need the repository level for biblio datasets, something like arXiv for biblio data.
cheers
--Jim

Jim Pitman
Professor of Statistics and Mathematics