[open-bibliography] Wikipedia project: bibliographic-archival data base

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Mon Sep 12 07:38:29 UTC 2011

Hello,

on Saturday a project was introduced at the Wikipedia Convention.
Jakob Voß has written about it (in German) in his blog.[1] See the
English wiki page for the project[2], where it reads:

"Libraries and archives all over the world are increasingly ready to
release their electronical catalogue entries. What follows is the plan
to create a Wikipedia source for such information: a source which
users should not only consult to locate materials but also to
intelligently connect, comment and correct information they find.

(...)

The ideal tool would become a central data base in the Wikipedia
universe. Correct information within this database and the respective
entries in Wikipedia articles that refer to this piece of information
show the new data (perhaps even with the research reference given in
the data base). Wikisource-should be able to use our data. (...)

The entire project should be seen as a first step into the arena of
structured data."

In 2012 will be a workshop on this project.[3]

Wikimedia is one of the organizations most interested in open
bibliographic data. They have very much supported the open
bibliographic data movement. It is only consequent that they are now
starting a project like this. We should see how we can cooperate.

All the best
Adrian

[1] http://jakoblog.de/2011/09/10/wikimedia-projekt-bibliographisch-archivalische-datenbank/

[2] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bibliographisch-archivalische_Datenbank/English