[open-bibliography] [dpla-discussion] The Digital Registry

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Sep 12 18:31:39 UTC 2011

> *THE DIGITAL REGISTRY*
>
> Berkman Founder Charlie Nesson leads an effort to establish a Registry
> of digital intellectual property for personal, educational, or
> commercial use. The vision for the Registry is that it will encompass
> all copyrighted works, all orphan works, and all works in the public
> domain.
> Further details can be found here:
> http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/nesson/digital-registry/
> Comments, ideas and feedback welcome.

I hope this could build on or cooperate with the current OKFN project

http://publicdomainworks.net/

"Public Domain Works is an open registry of cultural works that are in the public domain. It also provides a web API for calculating public domain status of works."

Is it envisioned that the Registry would provide an index of metadata for all works that it includes? If so, how would this metadata be acquired, and what
would be the copyright/licensing status of this metadata? I would hope it would be compatible with http://openbiblio.net/principles/

--Jim

Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/

Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860