[open-bibliography] Wikipedia project: bibliographic-archival data base

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Thu Sep 15 21:23:00 UTC 2011

Yes, it is very complex. When I was doing the rights metadata work at
the U of California, I ended up providing a way to store the relevant
information that supports a copyright determination - like copyright
holder, author (because you need to know if the author is dead or
alive, even if they are not the copyright holder), jurisdiction (the
rules are different in different countries), contact information, etc.
If the author has assigned a license to their work, like a CC license,
then that would be a key piece of information.

What you cannot do, however, is determine what the copyright status
is, at least not if you are not absolutely sure.

The work I did before on this is here:

http://www.cdlib.org/groups/rmg/

The users guidelines document explains things best:
http://www.cdlib.org/groups/rmg/docs/copyrightMD_user_guidelines.pdf

Some of it may not be relevant to all situations; as I said before,
this had to also cover archives of papers, etc.

kc