[open-bibliography] Wikipedia project: bibliographic-archival data base

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 08:33:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> Adrian, jumping to your conclusion:
>
> > Wikimedia is one of the organizations most interested in open
> > bibliographic data. They have very much supported the open
> > bibliographic data movement. It is only consequent that they are now
> > starting a project like this. We should see how we can cooperate.
>
> I agree. Is there a volunteer on this list willing to act as a point
> of contact between OKFN/openbiblio and this effort?
> I do have somewhere a list of names of people involved with a currently
> stalled Wikimedia effort to
> provide an adequately structured database of books and articles cited in
> Wikipedia. I'll be glad to
> find the list and share with anyone who has the time to follow up on this.
> --Jim

I am sure that Daniel Mietchen (Wikimedian in Residence) will be able to
suggest ideas.

I am sure that Wiki(m/p)edia is a great opportunity for us to deploy Open
Bibliography. I think there are several aspects and it would be useful for
us to list them. My own suggestions are:
 * all bibliographic references in Wikipedia should be normalised and
created as a pot of Bibsoup. This will obviously take time but it's a great
way to get a consistent, high-quality crowd-souced pot of soup.
* all references should - if possible - include a description of the rights
of the referenced object. e.g. if someone references an Open Access paper,
then it should be denoted as such in WP. This would be a tremendous example
of the power of OB.
* I assume the references will become part of DBPedia. A clear use of
BibJSON would help to make this easy.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust