[open-bibliography] PyBossa crowdsourcing & other new OKFN stuff

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:53:06 UTC 2012

So apparently the PyBossa which was mentioned in passing on the other
thread is a free, hosted crowd sourcing solution which is under
development by the OKFN.  It's hosted at pybossa.com and is so named
because it's a reimplementation in Python of the Bossa component of
the Berkeley's BOINC project
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/BossaIntro

There's a bunch of bibliographic data tasks which could be crowd
sourced, such as reviewing the validity of proposed author merges or
other significant changes, but I'm also interested in the more general
question about how one discovers new OKFN projects.

Is there a central announcement mailing list somewhere?  It seems I'm
constantly stumbling across new projects.  Sometimes it's just an
existing project that's taken a new name (e.g. DataHub), but often its
something truly new that I've just never heard of.  It'd be great if
there was a low overhead way of keeping up.  Recommendations?

Tom