[open-bibliography] German National Bibliography as LOD under CC0

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Thu Feb 2 18:11:13 UTC 2012

Hello Tom,

On 2 February 2012 16:48, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's awesome, Adrian.  I don't suppose that there's any English
> language documentation on the DNB data model?

>There is, see <http://files.d-nb.de/pdf/linked_data_e.pdf>. The wiki page on the LOD service says that it will be updated soon to cover the bibliographic records as well. For now the English verison only covers authority files.

> For example, the "related persons" to Bertolt Brecht
> http://d-nb.info/gnd/118514768/about/html appear to be encoded with a
> rich set of relationships (gnd:functionOfThePerson) including not only
> 1st wife, 2nd wife, son, etc, but also long-term mistress, lover, etc.
>  Is there a standard list somewhere that this set of relationship
> roles is drawn from is it just free form text entered by the
> cataloger?

Regarding person relationships see page 19 of the documentation. The
RDF data certainly is less specific than the the underlying data.
Family relationships seem to be explicitely encoded but for other
kinds of relationships only the general rdaRelGr2:relatedPersonPerson
is used.

To get a feeling for the underlying data take a look at
<http://gso.gbv.de/DB=2.1/PPNSET?PPN=133840107/SET=6/TTL=1/PRS=PP/NXT>
(That's the corresponding authority record in the GBV union catalog in
Pica+ format.)

I don't know whether there is a controlled vocabulary behind this
practice of typing a relationship but I guess there isn't. (Any people
familiar with German cataloging on this list?) But there will at least
be a common practice for this.

All the best
Adrian