[open-bibliography] getting a personal bib library out

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 5 23:44:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> Mark MacGillivray <mark at odaesa.com> wrote:>
> > Given that we wrote the principles last year and link to them from the
> > front, our entire point is that bib metadata are facts. If we stick
> > licenses on them, they will appear licensable. so the license is about
> whatever the record is about.
>
> We cannot expect all BibJSON users to follow this chain of reasoning. We
> must be explicit about it in the spec.

There are the following problems:
* it is technically not easy to add a complete licence (CF CC licences in
RDF for adding to HTML pages)
* We don't think licences are the right way to go about asserting Open
Bibliography.

However I think it highly useful to have a single non-legal field such as
    "rights" : http://openbiblio.net/principles/
This ;points the users to our site, costs little real estate and is
educative
> Are you saying we should change bibjson so that license is just a string
then?

> Just a url, yes, for the license assertion on the biblio record, that
> might be useful.
> Biblio records may carry baggage with them which is licensable or
> copyrightable even if the basic metadata are not.
> Especially, I think we should consider a practice of attaching abstracts
> and keywords or subject tags, even if taken from
> a publisher's site, with a claim of "fair use" by US copyright doctrine.

Quoting US fair use will not have any weight in a European court

> This may be something for the broader list, not just the dev list.

Agreed

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics