[open-bibliography] [open-humanities] Parsing Wikisource bibliography pages?

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Feb 6 17:56:19 UTC 2012

Sam Leon <sam.leon at okfn.org> wrote:
> Fwd: from Open Hum list. Any ideas?

Thanks Sam for pushing this to the openbiblio lists. Two important issues
here.

1) We should look into creating/maintaining a converter to BibJSON from Wikisource bibliography pages , also approaching Wikimedia about possibility of BibJSON export. Volunteers for either task?

2)  We should give BibJSON capability of indicating title of work in
different languages. Same for abstract and possibly other fields like keywords.
There are some subtleties.  A title or abstract or keywords may be translated,
even if the work is not. It should then be indicated which is the original
field, in which language, and which fields are are translations.

Another thing I have wondered about in BibJSON is subtitles.
Are there standards we could easily borrow from, for either translations or subtitles?

--Jim

Jim Pitman
Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California