[open-bibliography] BibSoup/BibServer collaboration model?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 19:35:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Naomi Lillie <naomi.lillie at okfn.org> wrote:
>
> I think it should be emphasised more that BibServer/BibSoup is not
> competing in the
> domain of reference management.

I agree witn everything Jim says

I'd also be glad to see more of Peter's rants against pseudo-openness and
> Mendeley copyfraud under the OKF flag.
> We had quite a spirited discussion on the list of issues around
> appropriation of Bib data from the public domain.
> Why not air some more of that out in the blogosphere?  This is a strategic
> issue for the openbiblio community.
> I am not clear how  OKF can help resolve such issues through the WG
> structure. Perhaps it is best just for Peter to blast
> away from his blog and for OKF WG to take a more moderate position. I am
> not sure.

I rant not because I enjoy it (though it creates adrenalin) but because I
am so frustrated and angry with the indifference of academia (in
particular) to the opportunities  of the 21stC. We are losing opportunities
daily. Elsevier is now offering us textmining for money and so are other
publishers. This is double copytheft (shut up... no ranting allowed here...)

The real power of Bibserver/Bibsoup are its potential as a creative tool
for innovation. It can manage things other than publications - such as a
lists of publishers, grants, organisations (There's probably a near
seamless transition to CKAN here). We can create mashups in a way that
other tecchnologies don't allow. That's why Open Research reports are so
exciting. We use annotations and links on BibJSON to bring in other
resources.

Our strengths are that we generate communities (in a way that few walled
gardens can do). That we can offer everything to anybody instantly without
worrying about IP, licences etc. That our thinking aligns with government
and other organizations. Every time that a new chunk of biblio appears we
gain the interest of the people providing it. And they often have contacts,
resources, enthusiasm, volunteers, etc.

Agree with Jim. This is not reference management. It is building the Open
map of Open Scholarship and using it as a fundamental technology to change
the world.

> In any case, I hope this post may stimulate further discussion of how best
> this WG could assist on the community side in supporting
> the great efforts Mark has made in developing openbiblio services.
>
> --Jim

> Jim Pitman
> Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
> University of California