[open-bibliography] Quora - "As a researcher does it still make sense to maintain a web page containing a list of one's publications?"

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 08:52:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thought the group might be interested in this question and associated
> answers:
> >

> http://www.quora.com/As-a-researcher-does-it-still-make-sense-to-maintain-a-web-page-containing-a-list-of-ones-publications
> >
> Yes, all good positive answers, and we should continue to do what we can to
> reinforce this behaviour by providing attractive open biblio services which
> harvest and add value to such personal listings.

Yes - every reason why researchers should maintain their own lists. I have
not come across a search engine or bibliography aggregator which gives an
accurate bibliography for me. Of course if all people are interested in is
the glorious hIndex it doesn't matter about the details - just which engine
you "believe".

> Are we at the point yet when we should contribute a pointer to BibSoup
> and encourage scholars to use that facility?
> Mark, this is your call really, about when you want to go more public
> with BibSoup. Then you or Naomi could start contributing BibSoup

I think we are close to going public. A few carefully chosen high quality
bibsoups would be a useful way of illustrating the diverrsity of uses.

--Jim

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry