[open-bibliography] OCLC's license for FAST

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Jan 4 20:36:06 UTC 2012

Someone I know wrote to OCLC to get a copy of FAST and received this reply:

"Currently, complete dumps of the FAST file are not available under an
ODC-By license.  OCLC does make dumps available on a case-by-case basis
under a research-use license.  To apply, please contact Eric Childress
(childree at oclc.org)."

So, the file is NOT available under ODC-By, which makes me wonder what
the ODC-By relates to -- individual records? ODC-By says:

"...this license only governs the rights over the Database, and not
the contents of the Database individually."

" The rights granted cover, for example:

a. Extraction and Re-utilisation of the whole or a Substantial part of
the Contents;"

If this is added to the OKFN data list, let's make clear that the
database is not available, only the linked data service and its output
(is that right?).

kc

--
Karen Coyle