[open-bibliography] Articles and reviews

Thad Guidry thadguidry at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 23:43:54 UTC 2012

Schema.org has this in place already.  (ask questions on their mailing list)

http://schema.org/Review  (It places properties on Thing from both
"Creative Work" and "Review") and is being used now on various sites.

   1. <div itemprop="reviews" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Review">
   2.   <span itemprop="reviewRating">5</span> stars -
   4.   by <span itemprop="author">John Doe</span>,
   5.   Written on <meta itemprop="datePublished" content="2006-05-04">May
   4, 2006
   6.   <span itemprop="reviewBody">I really enjoyed this book. It captures
   the essential
   7.   challenge people face as they try make sense of their lives and
   grow to adulthood.</span>
   8. </div>

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
>
> > I'm digitizing books and sometimes journals, which sometimes contain
> > book reviews. What kind of mark-up is there to indicate that this
> > text here is a review of book B by author A, written by reviewer R?
>
> Good question. We need such markup for use in BibJSON.
>
> > Is there any place where one can search for reviews of book B?
> > Or reviews of books by A? Or reviews by R?
>
> Yes. JSTOR is one such place for academic works.
>

> http://dfr.jstor.org/?cs=any%3AReview&view=text&qk0=ft&qw0=1.0&qv0=Review&qf0=any
>
> offers facets
>
> #  Reviewed Work
> #  Reviewed Author
>
> You might look at how this appears in the JSTOR XML export.
> I would also very much like to learn of any general markup standard for
> reviews.
>
> --Jim
> Jim Pitman
> Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
> University of California
> 367 Evans Hall # 3860
> Berkeley, CA 94720-3860
>
> ph: 510-642-9970  fax: 510-642-7892
> e-mail: pitman at stat.berkeley.edu
>

> > As an example, here is a review of Macneill Weir: "The tragedy of
> > Ramsay MacDonald", http://runeberg.org/tiden/1939/0129.html
> >
> > Should I just digitize the full text and be happy without mark-up?
> > Is it meaningful to dig deeper into this? Is anybody doing that?
> > As far as I know, neither Wikisource, Project Gutenberg, the Internet
> > Archive, nor OpenLibrary are trying to do it.
> >
> > I could look up each book in OpenLibrary and add a user comment
> > that a review of the book exists. Is that the best I can do?
> > http://openlibrary.org/works/OL7639149W/The_tragedy_of_Ramsay_MacDonald
> >

> > --
> >    Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
> >    Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/