[open-bibliography] [GOAL] Electronic Theses and Dissertations Bibliography, Version 6

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 18 08:45:36 UTC 2012

Thanks Charles,
 We are currently working on an Open Biblio project (funded by JISC) and
aimed at developing an Open bibliographic infrastructure (BibSoup,
Bibserver and BibJSON)

But we cannot include your bibliography because it is NC

WHY is it NC? It makes it impossible to re-use it - provenance is hard
enough to track let alone rights.

There is no justification for NC. It solves nothing and makes it impossible
for modern re-use. You couldn't use any of this in a conventional book, for
example.

And, more generally, there is no justification for NC in "Open Access". The
assertion that authors want it is unfounded in fact. I am an author and I
have never found an Open Access supporter who has advocated NC. It's a
myth. It has severely restricted the re-use of information from projects
such as GalaxyZoo.

Let's work to get rid of NC

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 4:48 AM, Charles W. Bailey, Jr. <
cwbailey at digital-scholarship.com> wrote:

> Digital Scholarship has released the Electronic Theses and
> Dissertations Bibliography, Version 6.  It includes selected
> English-language articles, books, conference papers,
> technical reports, unpublished e-prints, and other scholarly
> textual sources that are useful in understanding electronic
> theses and dissertations.  Most sources have been published
> from 2000 through 2011; however, a limited number of earlier
> key sources are also included.  The bibliography includes
> links to freely available versions of included works. It is
> available under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial
> 3.0 United States License.
>
> http://digital-scholarship.org/etdb/etdb.htm
>

> Other Digital Scholarship Open Access Publications
>
> Digital/Print Books, http://bit.ly/ruSeJT
>
> Digital Bibliographies, http://bit.ly/oLLBeZ
>
> Weblogs, http://bit.ly/r16OuF
>
> --