[open-bibliography] [GOAL] Re: Electronic Theses and Dissertations Bibliography, Version 6

Arif Jinha arif.jinha at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:48:19 UTC 2012

What you should if feel free to apply the permissions as expressed by the author, not by the licence, because only the author's will is enforceable in natural law.  If your libraries disagree, persuade them otherwise instead of browbeating authors and progressive people like Creative Commons.

What you can also do is bring legal cases all they way to Supreme Courts whenever someone (a profit-hungry TA publisher for instance, or a power-hungry government) comes after anyone who acts in fair use.  It is wrong particularly that disabled people and people who basically know better can be denied this scholarly information on a technicality such as NC's imperfection, or worse criminalized, civilly injured by lawsuit, or fired, let go, for using or publishing it etc.  You are making a very risk-averse decision in insisting that everyone license everything perfectly, and it is that decision that is largely responsible for stopping the flow of information.  So why is it unusable, we are all cowering fear before an emperor who has no clothes.

There is nothing impossible about NC being fully exploited for its purpose, in fact it is one of the most natural ways to permit use and totally legal. Even better than CC-NC would be express an author statement of NC = no copyright!! Attribute and don't plagiarise as per normal practise (and it goes on all the time particularly profs taking the ideas of students, in ways profs aren't even being honest about).  It goes without saying and without licensing, it is a code of honour and reputation in the end.

Remember who started GOAL - global open access library as a concept for a global open access search.  We did so years ago and received very little support.  We were working as students and developing country advocates.  Arif Jinha and Moustapha Diack started the GOAL community years ago but it went nowhere. No problem for us in using the acronmy, no copyright, I am happy about it, and just waiting for some common sense from the dinosaur class.  I'm really respectful of my profs actually, and only saying that because it seems to be the tone on the list for getting some attention.  We are delighted that the acronym stuck in your subconscious.

 If you think about it, you'll stop forgetting the forest for the trees and bullying each other on this list.  You'll defend your allies. If you do that, you'll protect the innocent and take a heuristic all the way to copyright deregulation, which is already de facto for most journals who permit self-archiving and in the best interests of all scholarly publications as well as the disabled, students, professors and the poor.

Sincerly my salutution must be creative.

"Inextenguishable eastern and western, northern and southern enlightenment in the global rising spring", some poetry from the humanities on a cog-sci heavy list.  We shall overcome and we shall have all the literature on our desktop, free for all, forever, in our lifetime, mark my words.  In many ways, we already have it with a little bit of fully legal and technical cleverness from the young wizkids who know digital law and the internet..

Why not help me start my Open Creative Publishing Platform for creative arts and scholarship?  Why not drop me a friendly note for the effort I'm making as a penniless MA graduate?

take care good friends and allies in OA.

Arif Jinha
JBC Publishing (to be registered 2012)
Wakefield, QC
011-819-459-1385