[open-bibliography] [GOAL] Re: Electronic Theses and Dissertations Bibliography, Version 6

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Jan 18 17:16:59 UTC 2012

"Arif Jinha" <arif.jinha at gmail.com>
> What you can also do is bring legal cases all they way to Supreme
> Courts whenever someone (a profit-hungry TA publisher for instance,
> or a power-hungry government) comes after anyone who acts in fair
> use.  It is wrong particularly that disabled people and people who
> basically know better can be denied this scholarly information on a
> technicality such as NC's imperfection, or worse criminalized,
> civilly injured by lawsuit, or fired, let go, for using or
> publishing it etc. [...]

It is also wrong when poorer communities are denied access to works
because the licensor refuses to let them recoup the costs of
distributing those works, through selection of an Non-Commercial
licence which requires everyone to subsidise the work.

I am disappointed when someone argues that discriminating against
the poor is "one of the most natural ways" but I have encountered
it before.

We cannot rely on fair use because it varies greatly around the world.

Also, this is not about attribution or plagiarism because there are
fine licences like CC-By which require attribution without prohibiting
commerce.

In solidarity,