[open-bibliography] getting a personal bib library out

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jan 18 16:40:54 UTC 2012

Karol,

> I'd like to make my bibliographic library public. In practice,
> that is a single BibTeX file... plus some scripts.
> I've now put on github for fun:
> https://github.com/langner/library

Excellent.
As a GitHub newbie I dont see quickly how to get at the data.
Please can you post the url at which your https://github.com/langner/library/blob/master/library.small.bib
can be derived without the html wrapper?
Then you can upload the collection to BibSoup via  http://bibsoup.net/upload

It is not clear to me whether GitHub provides a suitable line editor for editing BibTeX or similar data.
I rather suspect not. I had a lot of trouble navigating around the 13K line in my browser.
I think rather we need an editing tool which allows a user to quickly select an item for editing, and then work
on just that item in a simple UI. BibSonomy provides a clunky UI which does this. I have been trying to improve that UI.
It may at present be better to use BibSonomy than GitHub for biblio collection posting, because BibSonomy has a data model which
respects the structure of BibTeX records, which GitHub does not.  We need the best features of both GitHub and BibSonomy.

> What is the appropriate license for this? Can I just put in CC0?
CC0 seems great to me. Then on ingest to a larger environment like BibSoup each record should have a field attached to it indicating
both its license/provenence. This statement should be provided by the data provider as a line in the metadata of the collection.
Mark, can you please take a look at this issue?

many thanks Karol for posting your bib, looks like a great benchmark dataset for us to work with!

--Jim

Jim Pitman
Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California