[open-bibliography] German National Bibliography as LOD under CC0

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jan 26 18:04:21 UTC 2012

Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> If we can offer Bibservers of national bibliographies it will be a great
> resource for everyone working in Arts and Humanities, GLAM, etc. and
> science monographs.

Definitely.
Naomi, please can you track these national biblio releases
 as  they appear, establish the appropriate technial and administrative contacts, and coordinate approaches to these contacts to install national BibServers?

This is a particular class of BibServer application, which will have some special characteristics we will need to acknowledge and customize for to some extent.
Hopefully we can learn sequentially how to do this efficiently, and gain
both admin and technical support for national bibservers from the host organizations.

> Bibserver can, in principle, allow annotations. All bibliographies offer
> great scope for this.

True. More simply, BibServer should allow any Biblio maintainer to
support  selection of sub collections by interested users. This should be the
first step I think. Maintenance of the user base and permissions will be the
main burden on the BibServer maintainer. It is not clear to me whether national bib maintainers would be able to support this burden. I rather doubt it, unless there is a technical FTE designated to deal with such things.

I think that smaller, subject-specific biblios, like for malaria, or
probability, would be more easily capable of managing users, due to the much smaller scale. But then these installations have to be able to handle ingest of data from  multiple sources including e.g. national biblios.

--Jim
Jim Pitman
Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California