[open-bibliography] biblios.net code/data?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Jul 5 00:09:50 UTC 2012

Graham Seaman <graham at theseamans.net>
> Does anyone know if the biblios.net z39.50 server data or code (it was
> open source of some kind) is available anywhere?

The biblios.net code was called just biblios and was hosted on
biblios.org. It used PazPar2 didn't it?

> Someone mentioned github to me, but I can't find it there. As far as
> I can see the cataloguing service is now dead since it depends on
> Google Gears. I believe Liblime simply let the service fade away,
> but I may be wrong - maybe someone has revived it elsewhere?

A copy of the server code is
http://git.librarypolice.com/?p=biblios.git;a=summary
as git.biblios.org seems to have gone away.  It's GPL so that should
survive its original host's neglect, although it doesn't look like
it's under active development just now.

> I don't know why the service died either - was it just a casualty of the
> Liblime/Koha fiasco, or commercially unviable, or did they run into
> legal prolems with putting random catalogue data under PDDL?

(Koha wasn't part of any fiasco... it's kept ticking along,
cataloguing books, even when certain developers may have been fiascking.)

I doubt the service ran into legal problems, as biblios.net looks
still up (although not useful now, as you note) - it's only the GPL
software site that seems to have been killed off and turned into a
redirect to the not useful biblios.net site.  Maybe it wasn't a focus
for LibLime's new owners and no-one else wanted it enough to fund it?

Hope that helps,