[open-bibliography] OCLC adds Linked Data to WorldCat.org | DDC 23 released as linked data at dewey.info

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sun Jun 24 18:38:46 UTC 2012

On 6/24/12 7:47 AM, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> I might upset some purists but I suspect that a collection with the main
> details (as we have listed in the Open Bibliographic Principles -
> author, data, publisher, title) coukld be extremely valuable for a very
> wide range of people who currently don't use bibliography at all. It
> might not be full enough for library management, but it would do very
> well for undergraduates, hobbyists, citation lists in articles, and
> Wikipedia, etc.

The records themselves are not huge, at least not in the native MARC
format -- they tend to be in the 1K-1.5K range, and by ignoring some of
the more obscure data would be smaller - perhaps even half that amount.
It's the sheer number of fields that I think becomes an issue, not so
much their size. I would guess at an average of 10 fields per record,
although that depends on how you break out the data (e.g. if published
date is considered a separate field or part of the same string with the
publisher name).

> If they expose an API then it should be possible to distribute the load
> of extracting the metadata.

Note that OCLC *does* have an API for worldcat:
   http://www.oclc.org/worldcatapi/default.htm

I couldn't get through all of the legal jargon to figure out if 1) one
has to be an OCLC member and 2) what uses were allowed. A non-jargon'd
explanation would be of great benefit.

This newly announced function, though, is not aimed at API-type
extraction from the database but instead serves the functions addressed
by schema.org, which is improved search engine access. If
Google/Bing/Yahoo do indexing on schema.org fields we should be able to
actually do an author or title search in Google rather than the
scattershot keyword search that exists today.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net