[open-bibliography] OCLC adds Linked Data to WorldCat.org | DDC 23 released as linked data at dewey.info

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 25 08:21:51 UTC 2012

Thanks Karen,

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> Note that OCLC *does* have an API for worldcat:
>  http://www.oclc.org/**worldcatapi/default.htm<http://www.oclc.org/worldcatapi/default.htm>
>
> I couldn't get through all of the legal jargon to figure out if 1) one has
> to be an OCLC member and 2) what uses were allowed. A non-jargon'd
> explanation would be of great benefit.

Yes.

> This newly announced function, though, is not aimed at API-type extraction
> from the database but instead serves the functions addressed by schema.org,
> which is improved search engine access. If Google/Bing/Yahoo do indexing on
> schema.org fields we should be able to actually do an author or title
> search in Google rather than the scattershot keyword search that exists
> today.

My key driver is to be able to *build our own* information systems rather
than relying on Google/Bing/Yahoo. The more this happens, the more
libraries become marginalised. I don't want Google to "do chemistry" - it
won't.

If the result of this is that we transfer one walled garden (OCLC) to
another (GBY) then we haven't gained much.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics