[open-bibliography] OCLC adds Linked Data to WorldCat.org | DDC 23 released as linked data at dewey.info

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 25 10:42:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Thomas Krichel <krichel at openlib.org>wrote:

>  ianibbo at gmail.com writes
>
> > Yet it seems so unpopular, and I
> > can't for the life of me figure out why :D
>
>   OAI-PMH is compliated, it has features nobody uses... It creates work
>  for humans that machines would be better at.
>
>  I prefer plain files and ftp or better rsync.

The main problem is that it's an "academic-only" format. That means its use
depends on support *and development*  by the academic community whereas
other methods such as rsync, RESTful methods, RSS, etc are in widespread
use. There isn't anything specific that academics need over the rest of the
world.

But having said that IF OCLC expose OAI-PMH then I am sure it can be
incrementally downloaded. With these endpoints the main problem is knowing
what is *in* the repo and ho far through you have got.

But do OCLC have an Open OAI endpoint?

>  Cheers,
>
>  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
>                                      http://authorprofile.org/pkr1