[open-bibliography] [Open-access] Open alternative to crossref / linking to citations re-use on an open access repository?

Jenny Molloy jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 08:47:41 UTC 2012

Hi Tariq

As far as I know, there is currently no open alternative to CrossRef with
good coverage of the literature because the reference lists from papers are
in the main not open data and therefore can't be automatically discovered
and reused, although if D was open access then it might be possible.

There are certain projects looking to address this and make citation
networks of OA material e.g. http://opencitations.net/ and lots of interest
in encouraging publishers to make all of their reference/citation data open
to enable alternative services and novel uses of the data.

I'm copying in the open biblio mailing list who will be able to answer your
question far more authoritatively than I could!

Jenny