[open-bibliography] [Open-access] Open alternative to crossref / linking to citations re-use on an open access repository? CiTO and WebTracks

David Shotton david.shotton at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 28 13:35:18 UTC 2012

Dear Tariq,

If D contained or published machine-readable RDF metadata, then the
statement

    <D> cito:cites <P> .

and/or

    <P> cito:citedBy <D> .

would make the existence of the link discoverable within the world of
linked data.  [For CiTO, the Citation Typing Ontology, see
http://purl.org/spar/cito/.]

Ideally, one would wish additionally for a ping-back / track-back
mechanism whereby S could alert X automatically to the existence of D.
The JISC WebTracks Project is addressing this - see
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/mrd/clip/webtracks.aspx and
http://webtracks.jiscinvolve.org/wp/.  I am copying this to Brian
Matthews, who can inform you of the current status of WebTracks.

Kind regards,

David

On 26/03/2012 09:47, Jenny Molloy wrote:
> Hi Tariq
>
> As far as I know, there is currently no open alternative to CrossRef
> with good coverage of the literature because the reference lists from
> papers are in the main not open data and therefore can't be
> automatically discovered and reused, although if D was open access
> then it might be possible.
>
> There are certain projects looking to address this and make citation
> networks of OA material e.g. http://opencitations.net/ and lots of
> interest in encouraging publishers to make all of their
> reference/citation data open to enable alternative services and novel
> uses of the data.
>
> I'm copying in the open biblio mailing list who will be able to answer
> your question far more authoritatively than I could!
>
> Jenny
>
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Tariq Khokhar <tariq at khokhar.net
> <mailto:tariq at khokhar.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Folks,
>
>     I'm Tariq Khokhar and work at the World Bank in Washington DC.
>     Here in a personal(ish) capacity.
>
>     My question is roughly: is there a good open alternative to things
>     like: http://www.crossref.org/
>
>     In particular, for this scenario:
>
>     1) Institution X has an open access repository with research paper
>     P in it.
>     2) Someone, S, takes P, either re-uses it or cites it in paper or
>     product D
>     3) S then publishes or puts online D
>
>     Question: How can X (semi) automatically discover D and list it
>     alongside P on the original open access repository? What would S
>     have to do with D in order to help this along?
>
>     Hope that's clear!
>
>     tk
>

>     --
>     Tariq Khokhar
>     email  : tariq at khokhar.net <mailto:tariq at khokhar.net>

Dr David Shotton
Image Bioinformatics Research Group, Department of Zoology, University
of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK.   Phone: +44 (0)1865-271193
Skype: davidshotton