[open-bibliography] Orphan data

Mark MacGillivray mark at odaesa.com
Fri Mar 2 02:43:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> On 3/1/12 5:21 PM, Mark MacGillivray wrote:
>

>>> Any ideas for a solution?
>>

>> Claim ownership and then release it under PDDL?
>

> don't think so. It's either yours or not yours,

If this is true, then it is not an orphaned work.

> I don't think that you can
> license something unless you've got some legal right to it, and I don't
> think that a claim can establish that right. (OK, it worked for conquerers
> and the entire manifest destiny across this continent, but I think someone
> might call you out if you tried it today.)

Yes, but that is why I suggested it as a solution. If the problem is
that the work is orphaned, then by claiming it you will find out if
that is really the case. Either way, you find who the owner is
(perhaps you), and you find (or assert) the licence inflicted upon it.

Mark