[open-bibliography] Orphan data

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Mar 2 03:16:03 UTC 2012

On 3/1/12 6:43 PM, Mark MacGillivray wrote:

>> don't think so. It's either yours or not yours,
>
> If this is true, then it is not an orphaned work.

No, orphan works are those for whom the owner cannot be identified: the
work is *potentially* owned but the fact cannot be established.

That said, "orphan works" are assumed to under copyright -- otherwise
they would be in the public domain. I'm not saying that this database is
copyrightable by called it 'orphaned.' I'm saying that the ownership of
the data cannot be established.

> Yes, but that is why I suggested it as a solution. If the problem is
> that the work is orphaned, then by claiming it you will find out if
> that is really the case. Either way, you find who the owner is
> (perhaps you), and you find (or assert) the licence inflicted upon it.

Right, but the holding institution does not want to own it. They want it
to be open, totally open. So in order to avoid owning the data, they
have said that they do not own it and do not want to own it. There
simply is no owner. But that means there is also no one to grant a
license, and someone who wants to use it prefers to have a clear, legal
license.

Now, if we weren't in the US, where people tend to take each other to
court at the drop of a hat, organization #2 would just happily use the
data. But both of these organizations are commercial entities, and
messing around with something this ambiguous sends their lawyers into a
tizzy.

I don't think we can solve their problem, but I think it's worth
thinking about orphan data which, like orphan intellectual works, create
a usage limbo (at least wherever you have nervous lawyers). In this
case, ownership (and PDDL) may have been more advantageous than the more
heartfelt declaration of openness.

kc